Wednesday, April 24, 2013

{Recipe} Baked Plantain Chips

When we were at the Outer Banks last summer, one of our friends fried some delicious plantain chips. I loved them and made them several times at home after that. When I noticed plantains were on sale at the grocery store recently, I decided to try a baked version and was pleasantly surprised with this healthy, simple snack.

I based my recipe off of Martha's version.

Ingredients:

  • Plantains (I usually use 2 plantains at a time. Martha says to use green ones, but I always use the yellow/black ones available at my grocery store - personally, I enjoy the sweet & salty result from using riper plantains)
  • Nonstick cooking spray (or oil)
  • Sea salt

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Cut the plantains into thin slices. To make these as light as possible, I've only been using nonstick cooking spray without any oil. If that's your preferred method, spray a cookie sheet, lay the plantain slices down in a single layer, give the top of the plantains another light spritz of nonstick spray, and sprinkle sea salt on top. Alternatively, you can coat the plantains lightly in the oil of your choice. Bake approximately 30 minutes, flipping the plantains once halfway through. You can store the cooled chips in an airtight container for up to two days, but I think they're best warm and straight from the oven.




Are you a fan of plantain chips? Or have you been enjoying any other healthy snacks lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment