Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DIY Black & White Photo Mirror

I'm reaching way back for this one. I actually made these mirrors for my undergrad apartment, circa 2004-ish. But I still think they're pretty cool!


Materials:
  • Mirror(s) (I made 2, and they were Ikea Malma mirrors - not sure if they're sold anymore?)
  • Photos (I bought a B&W photo magazine to use)
  • Scissors
  • Paint & paintbrush (if you want to paint your mirrors)
  • Glue & clear gloss or Mod Podge
Total Cost: For 2, I think it was about $6 for both mirrors, and $5 for the photo magazine. I needed to buy the paint & gloss so depending on your supplies, it should be possible to make for about $10-15 total.

If you are painting your mirrors, start by getting this step out of the way. My mirrors were unfinished, and I decided to paint them black.

Next, determine which photos you want to use and cut them out. I bought a black and white photography magazine to make mine and just used the photos that caught my interest. If I were making this now, I would probably use my own photos since I've gotten more into photography and have traveled a lot more - I like seeing my own memories on the walls. (That being said, I love professional photography too, and of course the ones from the mag are about a million times better than anything I've taken.) I used black and white photos because, well, I like them, but also because it helps to tie the photos together and create a more unified look if you're using photos that are otherwise unrelated. But I'm sure you could make an awesome version that's more colorful too! 

Figure out the layout for your photos, then glue them down. I had never heard of Mod Podge until recently (remember, I made this in the pre-Pinterest era!) and haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet. I'm guessing this would be a good project for it? In my (even more) Mod Podge ignorant days, I just glued the photos down and let them dry, then put a clear coat of gloss on top. 

Due to our lack of wall space, my mirrors currently reside in the entryway of my walk-in-closet. It was a little awkward to get photos (especially since there is a pile of shoes crammed behind my door and I can't open it all the way...) - but I think you get the idea!


p.s. - Apologies for the lack of photo credits for all of the photos included on my mirrors! Unfortunately, I don't have the names of the photographers or even the name/issue of the magazine these were from. If, by chance, you happen to know any of the photographers, please let me know and I will update my post!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. It is a good idea. I've already tried it. I spent $ 5 on it. Very nice look in reality. I edited the photos here https://macphun.com/tonality, and then gested under glass. I look forward to new ideas. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete